Friday, June 21, 2013

Peach Scones


So, this is what usually happens when I buy a whole bunch of fresh fruit hoping to eat it daily, as I never seem to be able to eat what I buy (unless it is in a baked good such as these delicious peach scones!).








recipe from two peas and their pod

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes (I used salted)
3/4 cup heavy cream (I used half and half)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup diced, peeled peaches *

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Drop the butter cubes over the mixture and cut in with a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture is crumbly. In a separate bowl, combine the cream, egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon just until blended. Be careful not to over mix. Gently fold int the diced peaches.
Form dough into a ball and transfer the dough to a floured surface. Flatten dough into a round disk and use a biscuit cutter to cut scones into circles or a pizza cutter to slice into wedges (I actually ended up making drop scones because my batter was super sticky and wasn't cooperating on my floured counter... this seemed to work well for me). Lightly brush scones with additional cream and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (I forgot about this step in my hurry to finish making these scones for our Saturday morning breakfast!).
Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden brown (I think I baked mine for exactly 15 minutes, maybe slightly under that). Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving (we like our scones served warm so I skipped this step too).

*To peel peaches: place peaches in a pot of boiling water for about 1 minute. Remove from pot and drop into a bowl of ice water until the peaches are cool. The skin should peel off easily.

All in all, these were not my favorite batch of scones that I've made. Joe, however, really liked them. Don't get me wrong, they were very good, just not what I thought they would be. I think what threw me off was that, like the other scones I've made, I was expecting these to be somewhat sweet and they were not very sweet at all. I think that next time I will either add a little more sugar or throw in some white chocolate chips to sweeten them up a bit :) Let me know what you think! I'd also love to hear about any new recipes you've tried lately!

Enjoy!

❤Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment