Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ireland, Part 1: County Meath


Ok, so here we go with part 1 :) After a 2 hour drive to JFK and then another 4 hours at the airport followed by almost 6 hours on a plane, we were about ready to crash once we arrived in Dublin. We did, however, suck it up, get our rental car, and after checking into our hotel, went out for some lunch and sightseeing. Day 1 was seeing the Hill of Tara, Trim Castle, and then going to dinner in Dunboyne, a short walk from our hotel. These first couple photos are from the Hill of Tara, the ancient seat of the High Kings in Ireland. It was really amazing to see everything knowing how long these landmarks have been here.

This was the view from atop the hills... absolutely breathtaking.




These next few are from Trim Castle, a Norman castle in County Meath located on the River Boyne. Fun fact: parts of Braveheart were filmed here!






We took these photos from the top of the castle. It was very scary climbing up to the top! The stairs are super narrow, very windy, and also uneven (this was done on purpose as a defense mechanism in case the castle was ever attacked) which made climbing them extremely nerve-wracking... but totally worth the view!




This is the first castle we stayed in: the right side is the original part of the building. The grounds here were very charming... lots of gardens and little pathways.

I hope you enjoyed part 1 of my mini Ireland series! I have many more to come (I'm trying to break the pictures into parts to spare you all from Ireland overload)!

Happy Wednesday!

❤Britt

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I live in Ireland but never really get a chance to see all of these places. Looking forward to your next post!

    http://mystylediaryblogspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so gorgeous there! It was really amazing to be able to see so much but it was a lot of traveling! I feel the same way about where I live... There's so much I haven't seen! Thanks for reading along :)

      Delete
  2. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO HAVE VISITED IRELAND!! I was there a year ago and it's just too beautiful for words. *sigh* Loving the pics! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures! I was a little worries that the posts were too long :) I agree with you, it is too beautiful for words.

      Delete