Friday, February 8, 2013

Ice Cream Sundaes with Homemade Chocolate Sauce and Marshmallow Topping


Last night was sundae night with homemade chocolate sauce and marshmallow topping :) Our sundaes also included pretzel pieces (for that favored sweet and salty combination) and peanut butter chips (because peanut butter makes everything better... especially when mixed with chocolate and marshmallow!). My youngest sister and I thought these would be a fun and simple (and no bake) dessert... and she wanted ice cream while I wanted something with chocolate... so this was our compromise.

Recipe: Chunky monkey sundae from 101 Desserts to eat before you die(t) by Anneka Manning

Ingredients:

Chocolate fudge sauce:
2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate (I used milk chocolate because my sister doesn't like dark chocolate)
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup whipping cream (I substituted this for light cream because I had it in my fridge)
1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, diced

Marshmallow fluff:
1 cup white marshmallows (I used mini marshmallows... I think it's easier than dicing regular sized ones)
1/3 cup whipping cream (again, I used light cream here)

6 scoops chocolate chip ice cream
6 large pretzels, broken into bite-size pieces
6 scoops praline ice cream
10 chocolate-coated peanut butter cups, chopped
6 scoops peanut butter ice cream
1/3 cup honey-roasted peanuts (I used chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream because that is my little sister's favorite and we didn't use peanuts... yep, because she doesn't like them either... oh, and we used peanut butter chips instead of peanut butter cups, phew!)

Directions:

For the sauce:
Put chocolate, condensed milk, and cream in a microwave safe bowl (the original recipes says to heat it in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan filled one third of the way with water). Put in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so until chocolate is almost melted. Then, add butter and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.

For the fluff:
Put marshmallows (diced if you're using full-sized ones) in a saucepan with the cream and melt over low heat until smooth. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool, then refrigerate to set.

To assemble sundaes:
Add a tablespoon of the chocolate sauce to each sundae glass. Top with a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream, a few pretzel pieces, a scoop of praline ice cream, chopped peanut butter cups, and a scoop of peanut butter ice cream. Press down lightly so as not to smash everything together.

Top with a dollup of marshmallow fluff and drizzle some extra chocolate sauce over the top. Scatter some honey roasted peanuts and 'grab a spoon!


I'm aware that I made a ton of changes to this recipe but, when you have a little sister with a picky palette, you do what you must... If anyone tries the real version of this, and I will be making it soon, let me know how it is... it looks amazing! Also, this recipe book was a gift from my other sister (I have two sisters and a brother, all younger) for my last birthday and it is pretty amazing. From someone who loves anything sweet, this book is definitely worth the read!

Enjoy! Hope your weekend is sweet!

❤Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment